York Symphony Orchestra educational programs expose children, parents and grandparents to the legacy of beautiful symphonic music. Other educational opportunities also include:
When world-class artists come to York to perform with the YSO, we frequently ask these musical role models to share their skills with musicians. You are welcome to sit in on the Masterclass as a audience member. If you are interested in performing, contact email@example.com. Admission is free for all attendees. MasterClasses take place at the Appell Center’s Studio (50 N George Street, York, PA 17401). Please enter through the N. Philadelphia Street entrance.
Read about the Appell Center’s COVID 19 safety precautions and policies here.
FEATURING Guest Artists:
- Hai-Ye, Cello: October 2, 2021 at 1:30-3pm
- Stephanie Cheng, Piano: October 30, 2021 at 1:30-3pm
- Billy Ray Hunter, Trumpet: February 19, 2022 at 1:30-3pm
- Sydney Anderson, Soprano & Alex Scheuermann: May 21, 2022 at 1:30-3pm
Open Dress Rehearsal
- Please enter through the doors on Philadelphia Street opposite the parking garage.
- Try to arrive around 10:15 AM. The rehearsal will last from 10:30 AM to 1:00 PM.
- Remember to sit quietly so as not to disturb the musicians and the Conductor. If you leave before the end of rehearsal, choose a time when the orchestra is changing pieces or at their break.
- Restrooms are available at the Philadelphia Street entrance. All other areas of the Appell Center complex are off limits.
- Follow all Appell Center Appell Center’s COVID 19 safety precautions and policies. Learn more here.
$10 Under 18 Tickets
Any available seat in the theater for any performance. Special Student price subscriptions are also available.
The YSO provides an opportunity for students to work with musicians and discover a love for music. Many of our guest artists conduct master classes or residencies in selected schools for students the day before their performance with the YSO. Each year the YSO arranges for these or other opportunities throughout the county.
2021 Online Summer Camp: My Opus Magnum
Back in Person! During the York Symphony Orchestra’s music composition camp, join composer Chris Whittaker for a week-long immersion into the craft of music composition. Let’s discover together more about the amazing worlds of harmony, melody, and counterpoint as we write our own Opus One! Individual instruction by Chris assisted by fellow composer/pianist and educator, Matt Monticchio. The week culminates in a performance of student’’s original works attended by family and friends. Whatever style of music you write or enjoy, come and discover your musical voice! Click For More Information
Applications are due July 12, 2021
YJSO and YYSO
To learn more about the York Junior Symphony Orchestra (YJSO) grades 5 through 8 and the York Youth Symphony Orchestra (YYSO) grades 9 through 12 follow the links below.