CONCERT OPERATIONS AND PERSONNEL MANAGER
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
JOB SUMMARY: The Concert Operations/Personnel Manager is responsible and accountable for all production aspects of YSO performances and rehearsals. S/he is to proactively coordinate and execute logistics related to all programs presented by the orchestra. S/he will be an integral part of the YSO’s intimate administrative team working closely with our Executive Director, Music Director, Assistant Conductor, and concert venue staff.
MUSIC PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT (30% of time)
- Administrative coordination and communication with YSO musicians:
- Provide 24/7 communications path for individual musician concerns
- Respond to conductor and musician requests and issues in accordance with Orchestra Recommend updates to YSO Policy Manual.
- Arrange housing accommodations for out-of-town
- Work with the Music Director and Principal Musicians to…
- determine instrumentation and maintain lists of musician seats to fill for each
- schedule, advertise, and manage the physical & operational logistics of
- Work with the Executive Director to…
- prepare & process musician contracts, personnel rosters, and
- participate in planning operational needs of education and promotional
- Work with the Marketing & Development Associate to…
- maintain artistic and personnel pages in the program book
- secure any musician bios or headshots needed for marketing purposes
- Attend all rehearsals and concerts
- Ensure adherence to Orchestra Policy via addressing complaints, musician tardiness/absence, dress code, and general deportment.
- Facilitate communications between Music Director, Musicians, and production
- Hiring & Processing
- Maintain musician personnel records. Under Music Director’s supervision, hire & maintain list of players suitable as extras or substitutes consistent with YSO’s artistic standards.
- Prepare musician payroll for processing.
- Miscellaneous – other duties as assigned
CONCERT OPERATIONS & PRODUCTION (30% of time)
- Concert Operations
- Assist monitoring the annual budget for orchestra
- Help determine instruments, equipment, or tunings needed and services with vendors.
- Develop stage plots for each performance.
- Communicate rehearsal and performance schedules to all involved
- Work with stage manager to address technical and logical needs (lighting, audio/video, broadcast, recording, stage crew, etc) specific to each event.
- Assist the annual Young Person’s Concert and Song-writing Contest including scheduling and transportation needs with schools
- Assist developing and implementing YSO’s annual in-school performances including schedules with schools and musicians
MUSIC LIBRARY (30% of time)
- Assist developing, implementing and monitoring annual library needs.
- Maintain library including digital database of repertoire and physical storage.
- Develop annual library budget by gathering rental/purchase quotes based on instrumentation.
- Execute rental and purchase orders including contracts, shipping, and cataloging.
- Create practice copies for conductors and musicians as needed.
- Coordinate creation of bowing masters with principal players and deliver to librarian to copy
- Handle distribution and collection of physical and digital sheet music to musicians.
- Supervise YSO Librarian
- Coordinate with Librarian to account for general maintenance and oversight of the YSO Music Library; as well as Pre-& Post-Concert Duties.
ARTISTIC PLANNING & HOSPITALITY (10% of time)
- Artistic Planning
- Assist in developing, implementing and monitoring the YSO’s annual artistic plan.
- Prepare guest artist contracts in conjunction with Executive Director.
- Coordinate and arrange guest artist’s travel and lodging with agents and vendors.
- Organize musician, conductor, and guest artist hospitality
- Serve as on-site liaison for guest artists
- Coordinate guest artist merchandise sales
- Experience in performing arts operations & personnel management, preferably with an
- Excellent skills at prioritizing short and long-term tasks and goals
- Independently motivated, proactive, and
- Tact, attention to detail, and
- Good sense of Take what you do seriously, but don’t take yourself too seriously.
- Systematic organizational skills
- Able to address a broad range of tasks in fast-paced environment over long periods of
- Proven experience managing the needs and expectations of a wide range of constituents, including musicians, vendors, staff, audience members, and guest
- Proficiency in MS Office and MS SharePoint
Full-time salary commensurate with experience
Immediate upon engagement
Please submit the following in PDF format only via email to Michael Reichman, Executive Director (email@example.com).
- Cover letter (include where you heard about the position)
- Salary history, requirements, & expectations
Position will remain open until filled.
The York Symphony Orchestra is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, nationality, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, or veteran status.