About the Digital Summer Camp:
This year our class is moving online! We’re excited about using this new platform that we believe will help to enhance our student’s experience and learn in new ways, even as we must remain apart during our nation’s public health crisis.
During the York Symphony Orchestra’s music composition camp, join composer Chris Whittaker for a week-long immersion into the craft of music composition. Let’s discover together more about the amazing worlds of harmony, melody, and counterpoint as we write our own Opus One! Individual instruction by Chris assisted by fellow composer/pianist and educator, Matt Monticchio. The week culminates in a performance of student’’s original works attended by family and friends. Whatever style of music you write or enjoy, come and discover your musical voice!
Chris & Matt lead both morning and afternoon classes, conducted through an online classroom where they will work with students as a group and in one-on-one break-out sessions. Students will engage with the fundamentals of analysis, form, harmony and counterpoint. Each student will create an original composition to be premiered at the end of the week in an online streaming concert. Invite your family and friends to join the digital concert!
Camp Dates and Deadlines:
Advanced Composition: July 27-30 at 1-4 PM; July 31 at 9-11AM
- Apply online through the online application
- Download the summer camp application. You can email the application to email@example.com or mail the application and payment to: York Symphony Orchestra, My Opus Magnum, 50 N. George Street, York, PA 17401
- Quiet, uninterrupted access to a computer or laptop with a webcam and adequate speakers or headphones during the time slot in which the class takes place, for the duration of the camp. While students will not be in the online classroom environment the entire 3 hour session, however, they will need unimpeded access.
- Instrument of choice on which to work and compose. Students are welcome to compose and use their primary instrument throughout the week. We recommend having close access to a small electronic keyboard or piano.
- We provide: Workbooks, manuscript paper and dry-erase tablet which will be used for group work and exercises in our online classroom.
- Additionally, there will be a mandatory tech orientation the week before camp to make sure each student is able to properly set up to engage with the class. We will provide several opportunities both as a group and one-on-one to ensure that technical hiccups are solved before the class begins. This year’s camp has special technical considerations.
- Because we will not meet in person this year, we will rely heavily on students’ ability to self-discipline and focus. If you have concerns about whether or not this year’s camp will be a good match for your student, we encourage you to reach out and have a conversation with our instructors. We are committed to helping to accommodate each student to ensure a positive and enriching experience for everyone.
Level Guidelines: Beginning vs. Advanced
Chris Whittaker, Head Instructor
Matt Monticchio, Assistant Instructor